The usual menstrual pattern of every woman is about 23 to 24 days. It is real that every woman has different pattern set and symptoms when in periods. According to physicians, every woman will have continuous menstrual bleeding once, in their lifetime.Visit http://checkpregnancy.com/ for more information on the causes of prolonged periods.
A woman has her periods or menstrual cycle almost at the same time monthly. Every cycle span does not last for above five days. When the cycle continues for over a week, this is a prolonged period. The massive and unusual flow of blood can occur monthly, at the same time for over seven days. Cumbersome menses cause mental and physical distress. Sometimes continuous bleeding can happen in the onset or during menopause. The medical terminology for this condition is menorrhagia.
Signs of a prolonged period
- Heavy menses and 7 – 15 days menstrual discharge.
- The period can be 2 -3 days earlier or on the same date of the last monthly period.
- Heavy blood flow which soaks a tampon after 2 – 3 hours.
- Mood imbalances can occur in the psychological aspect.
- A woman may get hot flashes, pelvic pain, lethargy, tiredness, anxiety, night sweats, difficulty in sleeping, no sexual interest, no control over urine holding and more physical aspects.
- Low hormonal level fluctuations.
- Ovary functioning stoppage.
A variety of causes can make prolonged or heavy menstrual bleeding to occur. Some are non-reproductive disorders and reproductive system problems.
1. Polyps and uterine fibroids
Massive flow women experience painful cramps and large clots. One or more growths which are non-cancerous, called leiomyomas or uterine fibroids is a traditional prolonged flow cause. The growth develops in the uterine wall. It contains muscles and other tissues. Polyps, which are a non-cancerous growth, form on the uterine lining surface and cause long, dark periods. The cause of fibroids is not well known though they mostly occur with age and in some families.
Endometrial and uterine lining cancers are another prolonged menstruation cause. In between period, bleeds can also take place. Radiation, surgery, chemotherapy and other medications, treats uterine cancer.
3. Other uterine problems
Adenomyosis is another uterus problem that causes prolonged periods. The uterus lining thickens and goes into the thick, muscular uterine wall part. Women who had children when aged over 30 years have this problem.
If you have period changes, prolonged and cumbersome bleeding, or in between periods, vaginal bleeding, see a specialist to check the cause and give appropriate treatment.